1. One of my favorite memories from my childhood is of going to the library on Saturday mornings, checking out a huge stack of books, coming home and spreading them across the floor, deciding what order to read them, and then digging in to those pages that magically transformed me to another world.
2. Libraries are staffed by librarians dedicated to their jobs, their patrons, and their communities. These hard-working people are innovative with their programming and services and continually come up with new ways to engage patrons and the community. This is no easy feat, especially in an ever-changing world filled with technology.
3. Libraries are open to everyone and give millions of people access to books, movies, magazines, and newspapers. That’s free knowledge and entertainment for all—you can’t beat that.
4. Every time I walk into a library I’m excited by something new. I discover newly-published books, pick up older books I didn’t know existed, or page through magazines I might not have read otherwise.
5. Libraries inspire people. They foster creativity, a love of words, a love of learning, a love of exploration, and a sense of community.
“A library is not a luxury, but one of the necessities of life…”
Henry Ward Beecher